Finding a PREMi Resolution Specialist Near You…
PREMi is an organization of dispute resolution experts who have numerous years experience in the various dispute resolution techniques.
Joseph C. Basta
Joseph Basta uniquely combines wide-ranging experience in trial and litigation work with a deep background in mediation.
Beginning his career as a federal judicial law clerk in the Eastern District of Michigan, Joe moved to Dykema Gossett PLLC where, for over 34 years, he tried jury and non-jury cases and litigated disputes for Fortune 500 Companies, small businesses, and individuals alike. His work spanned automotive, aircraft and industrial product liability, toxic torts, personal injury, business disputes, environmental, and intellectual property matters. He litigated in many state and federal courts at every level, including the United States Supreme Court.
Over the last decade, Joe has concentrated increasingly on mediating the kinds of civil cases he has litigated. Building on over 30 years experience as a case evaluator in Wayne, Macomb, and Washtenaw Counties while a trial lawyer, he has trained and worked extensively in civil, domestic relations, and elder care and probate mediation both as a volunteer for community dispute resolution programs and as a private mediator. Joe also teaches negotiation as an adjunct professor at the Michigan State University College of Law.
Joe Basta heads Basta Resolutions, PLLC, an Ann Arbor-based firm specializing in mediation and arbitration of commercial and family disputes. He is a former chair of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section of the State Bar of Michigan. Joe was a trial lawyer for over 34 years at Dykema, litigating complex commercial matters. He is a member of Professional Resolution Experts of Michigan, Inc.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- Georgetown Law Journal, Editorial Board
- Sacred Heart Major Seminary, M.A. in Theology
- Boston College, A.B., Summa Cum Laude
- Michigan Supreme Court Approved Mediation Training
- General Civil Cases
- Domestic Relations
- Adult Guardianship
- Michigan Department of Education Approved Mediation Training for Special Education
- Michigan Supreme Court Advanced Trainings in Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Med-Arb: The New Frontier in ADR
- Internship in Ignatian Spiritualityi
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Michigan State Bar, John W. Cummiskey Pro Bono Award (for mediation work and death penalty representation), 2009
- Best Lawyers In America, Environmental Law, 2009-10
- Mediator of the Year, Wayne Mediation Center, 2010
- Outstanding Service Award, The Dispute Resolution Center of Washtenaw and Livingston Counties, 2011
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeal for the Federal, Sixth, and Seventh Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan
- U.S. Eastern District of Wisconsin
- State Bar of Michigan
- Chair, Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
- Panel Member, Attorney Discipline Board
- Life Member, Sixth Circuit Judicial Conference
- Association for Conflict Resolution
- American Bar Association
- Washtenaw County Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
- Adjunct Professor, Michigan State University College of Law
- Adjunct Instructor, Sacred Heart Major Seminary
Search for other PREMI professionals
PREMi is a unique association of lawyer ADR professionals with unparalleled expertise in ADR processes, the substantive disciplines that underlay disputes, and the state and federal courts that hear them. Our mediator/arbitrators are diverse in every respect: dispute resolution styles, legal and educational backgrounds,
race, gender, and geography.