Finding a PREMi Resolution Specialist Near You…
PREMi is an organization of dispute resolution experts who have numerous years experience in the various dispute resolution techniques.
Sheldon J. Stark
Sheldon J. Stark has been offering mediation and arbitration services for approximately 30 years. Shel was a distinguished and successful trial lawyer, focusing his practice on employment discrimination, wrongful discharge, police misconduct and commercial litigation. He was frequently retained as an expert witness and organized numerous amicus efforts to address cutting-edge issues in employment law on appeal. Listed in Best Lawyers in America, he received the Labor & Employment Law Section Distinguished Service Award. As a member of the Michigan Standard Jury Instruction Committee, he chaired the sub-committee that drafted Michigan’s Model Civil Jury Instructions for employment discrimination, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge and intentional torts. He brings an experienced litigator perspective to the ADR process. He understands the trial process and helps parties better appreciate their risks.
Shel left the practice of law to become Director of Education at ICLE, the Institute of Continuing Legal Education, the official education provider for the State Bar of Michigan. During his years at ICLE, his programs won seven annual ACLEA’s Best Awards for the top program or seminar in the United States and Canada. Shel was part of the team that created ICLE’s award-winning general civil and advanced mediation training programs, and from 2002 to the present, his team trained over 1,400 mediators. The Representative Assembly of the State Bar awarded Shel its prestigious Michael Franck Award for “outstanding contribution to improvement of the profession.”
In 2010, Shel left ICLE to accept an appointment as Distinguished Visiting Professor at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law where he taught Pre-Trial Litigation, Advanced Pre-Trial Litigation, and the Mediation Clinic.
Since 2012, Shel has focused his practice on providing savvy, insightful, and effective ADR services, creatively tailored to the needs of disputing parties. His people skills and experience in conflict management assist participants in resolving their disputes. He continues to be a regular speaker and author on ADR and negotiation topics.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.G.S.
- Certified Mediator
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Bernard Gottfried Bill of Rights Day Award, Metropolitan Detroit Branch, American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan
- Top 25 Influential Lawyers in Michigan, Michigan Lawyers Weekly Reader’s Poll
- Best Lawyers in America
- National Registry of “Who’s Who”
- Distinguished Service Award, State Bar of Michigan Labor & Employment Law Section
- Michael Franck Award, State Bar of Michigan Representative Assembly
- George Bashara Award, ADR Section, State Bar of Michigan
- Top Lawyer in ADR for 2012 – 2020, dBusiness Magazine
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- Pro Hac Vice admissions in Wisconsin and New York
- Distinguished Fellow, International Academy of Mediators
- Distinguished Fellow, National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Professional Resolution Experts of Michigan
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Neutral Designation
- State Bar of Michigan
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Section Council, Past Chair, Past Chair, Skills Action Team
- Labor & Employment Law Section, Past Council Member and Former Chair
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section and ADR Section
- Association for Conflict Resolution
- Michigan Attorney Discipline Board Hearing Panelist
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association Fellow
- Federal Bar Association
- Michigan Trial Lawyers Association (Now Michigan Association for Justice)
- Past Officer, Board, and Committee Chair Positions
- Faculty, Harvard Law School Trial Advocacy Workshop
- Distinguished Visiting Professor, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
- Pretrial Litigation
- Advanced Pretrial Litigation
- Mediation Clinic
- American Arbitration Association, Employment Panelist
- Michigan Department of Civil Rights, Hearing Referee
- Approved Mediator in Wayne, Oakland, Ingham, Washtenaw, and Kent County Circuit Courts
- Mediation Trainer, Institute of Continuing Legal Education
Search for other PREMI professionals
PREMi is a unique association of lawyer ADR professionals with unparalleled expertise in ADR processes, the substantive disciplines that underlay disputes, and the state and federal courts that hear them. Our mediator/arbitrators are diverse in every respect: dispute resolution styles, legal and educational backgrounds,
race, gender, and geography.