Finding a PREMi Resolution Specialist Near You…
PREMi is an organization of dispute resolution experts who have numerous years experience in the various dispute resolution techniques.
Lee Hornberger is a former Chair of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section of the State Bar of Michigan, former Editor of The Michigan Dispute Resolution Journal, former Chair of the ADR Committee of the Grand Traverse-Leelanau-Antrim Bar Association, former member of the State Bar’s Representative Assembly, former President of the Grand Traverse-Leelanau-Antrim Bar Association, and former Chair of the Traverse City Human Rights Commission. He is a member of the Professional Resolution Experts of Michigan (PREMi), an invitation-only group of Michigan’s top mediators, and a Diplomate Member of The National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals.
He has received the George N. Bashara, Jr. Award from the State Bar’s ADR Section in recognition of exemplary service. He has also received Hero of ADR Awards from the ADR Section.
He is included in The Best Lawyers of America 2018 and 2019 for arbitration, and 2020 and 2021 for arbitration and mediation. He is on the 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 Michigan Super Lawyers lists for alternative dispute resolution. He has received a First Tier ranking in Northern Michigan for Arbitration by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® Best Law Firms in 2019.
He is an arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association, Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Forum, Michigan Employment Relations Commission, National Arbitration and Mediation, National Futures Association, and National Mediation Board.
While serving with the U.S. Army in Vietnam, he was awarded the Bronze Star Medal and Army Commendation Medals. The unit he was in was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation and the Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation with Palm.
He holds his B.A. and J.D. cum laude from the University of Michigan and his LL.M. in Labor Law from Wayne State University.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Wayne State University, LL.M. in Labor Law
- University of Michigan, J.D. cum laude
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- American Arbitration Association
- Arbitrator I: Fundamentals of the Arbitration Process
- Commercial Arbitrator II Training: Advanced Case Management Issues
- Federal Mediation & Conciliation Service
- Labor Arbitration
- Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- Family Law Certificate Program
- Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University School of Law
- Specialized Mediation Training: Handling Difficult Employment, Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury Cases
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Best Lawyers in America, Arbitration (2018)
- Super Lawyers, Michigan – Thomson Reuters (2016 to present)
- George N. Bashara, Jr. Award, State Bar of Michigan ADR Section (2014)
- Northern Michigan’s A-List of Attorneys, Traverse Magazine(2009)
- Pinnacle Award, Conflict Resolution Service (2009)
- Certificate of Appreciation, Community Mediation Service (2009)
- The Verdict: Town’s Top Attorneys, Cincinnati Magazine(1995)
- AV Preeminent Lawyer (Martindale Hubbell), Peer Review Rating of 5.0 out of 5.0
- Ohio (inactive)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Military Appeals
- U.S Supreme Court
- State Bar of Michigan
- Chair-Elect of the ADR Section, Member of the ADR Section Council, and Editor of The ADR Quarterly
- Member, American Indian Law, Family Law, Labor & Employment Law, Master Lawyers, and Solo & Small Firm Sections
- Representative Assembly, 2010-16
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Grand Traverse-Leelanau-Antrim Bar Association
- Chair, ADR Committee
- President, 2007-08
- Grand Traverse County Board of Canvassers, 2007-16
- Traverse City Human Rights Commission, 2009-16
- Chair, 2015-16
- Michigan Civil Rights Commission
- Hearing Referee
- Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians
- Hearing Officer
- Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians
- Hearing Officer List
- Principal, Arbitration & Mediation Office of Lee Hornberger
Search for other PREMI professionals
PREMi is a unique association of lawyer ADR professionals with unparalleled expertise in ADR processes, the substantive disciplines that underlay disputes, and the state and federal courts that hear them. Our mediator/arbitrators are diverse in every respect: dispute resolution styles, legal and educational backgrounds,
race, gender, and geography.