Finding a PREMi Resolution Specialist Near You…
PREMi is an organization of dispute resolution experts who have numerous years experience in the various dispute resolution techniques.
Richard L. Hurford
Richard L. Hurford is the President of Richard Hurford Dispute Resolution Services, P.C and a principal in ADRoit Dispute Resolution Services and Strongbridge Negotiation Strategists, P.C. ADRoit Dispute Resolution provides neutral ADR services to litigants throughout the country and Strongbridge provides negotiation strategy workshops, training, and support.
With over 40 years of litigation experience and service as a neutral in ADR processes he was recently inducted into the Michigan Lawyer’s Hall of Fame. He has served in numerous leadership positions in ADR including the past chair of the ADR Section of the Michigan State Bar; the Macomb ADR Committee, the Oakland County ADR Committee, and the ADR Section of the Federal Bar Association for the Eastern District of Michigan. In addition he chaired the ADR Council of the Engineering Society of Detroit and the Michigan Chamber of Commerce ADR and Litigation Group. For his contributions to the field of ADR he has received distinguished service awards from the State Bar of Michigan, the Macomb County Bar Association, the Michigan Chamber of Commerce, and the Engineering Society of Detroit.
He is a perennial Martindale AV preeminent rated attorney and named a Best™ lawyer yearly since 2005.
Richard is a frequent lecturer on ADR and has presented at numerous annual conferences of the ADR Section of the State Bar of Michigan. In addition, he has been requested on numerous occasions to present at conferences of judges hosted by the Michigan Judicial Institute and the U. S. Sixth Circuit Courts. Richard has written extensively on ADR process and techniques in many publications including the Michigan Bar Journal and a contributor to the Supreme Court Administrative Office’s publication the Michigan Judges Guide to ADR Practice and Procedure and a co-author of two prior editions of the nationally acclaimed The ABCs of and So Much More of ADR: A Practical Desk Guide for Judges and Attorneys.
He has been requested to serve on a number of Michigan Supreme Court and SCAO Task Forces that generated recommendations on such subjects as mediation and judicial case management, ADR practices and timing, revisions to the ADR court rules on mediation,the adoption of the Mediator Standards of Practice, and the adoption and implementation of the Michigan Supreme Court’s Order establishing the Summary Jury Trial as a dispute resolution process throughout the state.
Richard, a long standing litigator until the early 2000s, has arbitrated or tried over 100 cases to a jury or bench verdict and has a wealth of trial practice experience in complex commercial cases, business to business disputes, products liability, employment, personal injury, medical malpractice and trade secret protection cases. Since 2009 his professional activities have been exclusively devoted to providing ADR neutral services and negotiation training and support. He has served as a mediator, arbitrator, and early neutral evaluator in disputes involving every aspect of the law other than family and probate disputes.
He is a Distinguished Fellow in the International Academy of Mediators (by invitation only), a member of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (by invitation only) and a member of the Michigan State Bar, the Federal Bar Association, the ABA, the AAJ, the DRI, and the MDTC.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- Oakland University, M.A. in History
- University of Detroit, J.D.
- Eastern Michigan University, M.B.A.
- Legal Lean Sigma, Green Belt Certified, LSSO Institute
- Certified Mediator
- Advance ADR Training, Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- Advanced ADR Techniques in Litigated Cases, Pepperdine University
- Med-Arb: The New Frontier in ADR
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Best Lawyers in America, Litigation and Labor & Employment (2009 to the present)
- AV Preeminent Lawyer (Martindale Hubbell), Peer Review Rating of 5.0 out of 5.0
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeal for the Sixth and D.C. Circuits
- U.S. Supreme Court
- State Bar of Michigan
- ADR Section, Past Chair
- Michigan Supreme Court Certified Mediator
- American Bar Association
- Dispute Resolution Section
- Engineering Society of Detroit
- Macomb County Bar Association
- ADR Committee Chair
- Oakland County Bar Association
- ADR Committee
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- ADR Committee
- Michigan Manufacturer’s Association
- Lawyer’s Committee (Past Chair)
- American Arbitration Association
- Michigan Advisory Committee
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- American Association of Justice
- Association for Conflict Resolution
- President, Richard Hurford Dispute Resolution Services, P.C.
Search for other PREMI professionals
PREMi is a unique association of lawyer ADR professionals with unparalleled expertise in ADR processes, the substantive disciplines that underlay disputes, and the state and federal courts that hear them. Our mediator/arbitrators are diverse in every respect: dispute resolution styles, legal and educational backgrounds,
race, gender, and geography.